Mrs. Porter CCS

English 9 & 10 CCS

#11 Are there turning points in each of our lives that change us forever? Connect this to literature you have read this quarter too.

May14
by posted under Honors 9W1 | 27 Comments »    
27 Comments to

“#11 Are there turning points in each of our lives that change us forever? Connect this to literature you have read this quarter too.”

1. May 14th, 2012 at 6:33 PM       Anne Says:

Yes, I believe there are turning points in our lives that change us or our outlook on life because it was really important in our lives. For me, it was when I was bullied in Junior High. That exprience made me stronger and helped me understand even in life people may not like for who I am and I just need to live with it. A literature that I read this quarter was “Night” and the author Elise Wiesel went through the Holocast and it changed his life forever and he saw that people shouldn’t be treated wrongly for their religion or race. Now he lives for a humane cause.

• May 15th, 2012 at 9:11 AM       Erika Says:

I definately agree! Ellie Wiesel in “Night” was impacted on his expierence in the Holocaust and he now knows that discrimination because of your race is wrong!

2. May 14th, 2012 at 9:26 PM       Andrea Says:

There are definitely turning points we face that change our lives forever. In “Night”, Elie Wiesel had to suffer during his time in the Holocaust and it changed him forever. But the important thing people need to understand is that we have to use those life-changing events to strengthen us and make us better people. I read “A Stolen Life” by Jaycee Dugard, and even though she had 18 years of her life taken away from her by someone completely selfish, she used her experience to help her be a good mother and help many others who have gone through similar situations. It’s crucial for people to tell their stories and to help others, because they need to support others with their life-changes as well as receive help from other people who have dealt with the same thing.

• May 16th, 2012 at 3:52 PM       Hannah E. Says:

I agree. Even though it will not always be easy, we have to see the good in the turning points we go through. By focusing on the positive, we will grow stronger and come out better in the end.

• May 17th, 2012 at 11:58 AM       Anne Says:

I agree with Andrea because it’s true. Like for Jaycee Dugard, she had been through some really tough times in her life. I think she told her story because she wants to help others that have been through the same thing and she can tell them that what happened in my life may seem really harsh but that is what made me stronger and who I am now.

• May 17th, 2012 at 11:26 PM       Brittany Says:

I definitely agree because for some turning points a person can use it as an excuse to do bad things or change their lives completely because of it. For example, Jaycee Dugard did the oppposite and made the best of it even though she could’ve quit in the middle of it all she pulled through and got something out of it.

3. May 14th, 2012 at 9:49 PM       Allie Says:

Yes, I do believe there are turning points in our lives that change us forever. A turning point in my life was 8th grade when I realized that I needed to stop being shy and worrying about what other people thought and that I just needed to be myself. In the book “Divergent”, A turning point in Tris’ life is when she has to chose which faction (or group) she will live in for the rest of her life if she passes the initiation test (for that faction). If she switches factions, she could be viewed as a traitor by her old faction if they aren’t forgiving.

4. May 15th, 2012 at 9:08 AM       Erika Says:

I believe that there are turning points in our lives based off of our expierences. I think people that have been through something tragic definately have been impacted. For example if you are or were bullied in school or know how it is to feel like that, it will help you to stand up for others getting bullied or to not bully others yourself.

• May 18th, 2012 at 6:44 AM       Hannah J. Says:

I agree with Erika. I think that our experiences determine our turning point in our lives. The people who have been in something tragic have probably had the biggest turning points that changed their life forever. For exmple the Holocaust or abuse.

5. May 15th, 2012 at 3:57 PM       Hannah E. Says:

I believe there are turning points in our lives that change us forever. We have to realize that God uses the turning points in our lives to make us stronger. I read a book this quarter about Bethany Hamilton, who lost her arm in a shark attack. Instead of being angry, she used her experience to travel around the world and speak to people about God. When asked if she would go back and change what happened to her, she said no because she could reach more people with one arm than she could with two.

• May 16th, 2012 at 2:23 PM       Allie Says:

Yes, I agree with what you said about Bethany Hamilton. She used a turning point in her life to reach out to others. I think it is important that we use hard things that happen in our lives to reach out to others, instead of sulking in self-pity.

6. May 15th, 2012 at 6:16 PM       Alyssa Johann Says:

Yes, there are turning points in our lives that change us forever. For me, a turning point was when I had surgery on my foot. My foot will never be the same, for better or for worse. I now have screws in my foot, which will never be taken away, and I have had to change some things to accomodate that. In the book “So B. It”, Heidi’s mom dies. That is a turning point that will change her life forever. She will never have to take care of her again. She learns that some things we take for granted, like parents, aren’t always going to be there.

7. May 15th, 2012 at 6:36 PM       Elijah Says:

There is a moment in life when we make a choice that changes us forever. This moment marks a turning point when we realize that the life we are living is not a reflection of who we really are.
    How well we cope with our turning points will be determined by our physical, mental and emotional state. If we are able to identify or understand their personal strengths and weaknessness, it will give insight in the way we tackle the anxieties that happen in each turning point we meet. It also helps to determine what changes we can make to improve the way we act and respond toward a situation.

• May 16th, 2012 at 3:22 PM       Kane Says:

What happens if the person does not identify their faults? What happens then?

8. May 15th, 2012 at 9:11 PM       Shane Says:

Yes, there are turning points in our lives that change us forever. Elie Wissel was changed by the Holocaust

9. May 15th, 2012 at 9:20 PM       Solomon Says:

I think that there are many turning points in life that change life. Turning points are very signifigant because you finally realize that you have life worth living. This was very apparent in Night by Elie Wiesel.He overcomed a terrible life, had a turning point, and realized he needed to write about his experiences.

• May 18th, 2012 at 8:17 AM       Terence Says:

I completely agree. I also think that the turning points in our lives shape us and make us the person we are today.

10. May 16th, 2012 at 6:57 AM       Elijah Says:

Yeah, I can agree with you Solo. Elie Wiesel indeed overcame on what the devil threw at him. Wiesel understood and was able to identify his personal strengths and weaknesses. So that he was able to tackle the anxieties that happen in each turning point he faced.

11. May 16th, 2012 at 2:34 PM       AJ Says:

People tend to thing that only big decicions change their lives. For example if someone were to make the decicion to go to one college of the other. But I guess little tiny things have there way into changing our lives. Little things begin to add up after a while. But if you make a big decicion, which is more noticable, it is going to effect you quicker. I read the memoir A LONG WAY GONE by Ishmael Beah, he was greatly and perminitly effected by his choices. Well, actually not as much his choices but people around him. He was captutred by rebels in his country of Serria Leone and was forced to kill people. This is a huge turning point in his life becuase after it all he has to live knowing he killed innocent people, not knowing they were innocent. So he has to coupe with those things, and if it were me it would be a serious turning point in my life.

• May 18th, 2012 at 1:03 PM       Andrea Says:

I agree, because not all the events that change a person’s life have to be huge. It could be something small like Aj said. The big events that happen in our lives are definitely important because they impact us in such a great way, but the smaller moments can have a big impact as well.

12. May 16th, 2012 at 3:10 PM       Kane Says:

Yes, I think there are. In The Hunger Games, winning changed Katniss’ and Peeta’s lives forever in a bad way.

13. May 16th, 2012 at 7:46 PM       Brittany Says:

I believe there are turning points in our lives that change us forever. It doesn’t even have to be that big, sometimes it can just be a realization or a change of attitiude. I read “A Stolen Life” by Jaycee Dugard and the turning point in her life was getting kidnapped and sexually abused but she didn’t quit and I guarantee she is a totally different person now than what she would be if she never got kidnapped. That changed her life and who she was but she perservered and made it through and now tells her story.

14. May 17th, 2012 at 8:54 AM       Hannah J. Says:

I think that their are turning points in some people’s lives but not every ones. Elie Wiesel is great example because he survived the Holocaust and it most likely changed the way he looks at things forever. Also, in my memoir, the girl who suffered through her childhood overcame it but was never really the same afterwards.

15. May 17th, 2012 at 10:47 PM       Terence Says:

Yes there are turning points that change us for example in the book A Child Called It. Dave Pelzer was an ordinary second grader and as he got older his mother started to hate even more and she would even say she wished he was dead or never bornor make efforts to kill him. That changed his life because he had the strength to perserver and get through it and now he can share his story.

• May 18th, 2012 at 8:26 AM       Alyssa Johann Says:

I agree, perseverance has a lot to do with the survival and thriving of a person’s situation. Also, the way that one survives determines if they had a turning point in their life. If they still look at life the same, then chances are that they didn’t change. But, if they view life differently, then chances are that they had a turning point in their life.

16. May 18th, 2012 at 1:00 PM       hannah s Says:

I believe that there are moments in a person’s life that can change them forever. For example: In the book The Bride Collector by Ted Dekker, the lead detective’s life changes when he gets a case to make him fall in love with a mental patient.

17. May 18th, 2012 at 1:09 PM       Hannah S Says:

I agree with Hannah J on this one. All of us read Night, and Elie is such a great example of how one moment can change everything. Sometimes it is for good, but sometimes it is a negative thing. For Elie it was both. His family died, but now he is a wise man who even won the Nobel Peace Prize.

May 2012
M T W T F S S
« Apr    
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  

Welcome to the fresh, new look!

Let's see if you can navigate your way through to locate your class again. Remember: We are on blog #10 this week. Ok? Happy blogging!